Frequently Asked Questions about the Stevenson University Bands and Marching Band

Do you offer a music major?
No, but you can earn a minor in music. Click here for information on Music Minor at Stevenson University.

Are there scholarships available to participate in any of the music programs?
Each student participating in the marching, pep, and concert band will earn 2 Fine Arts credits and financial compensation.

Do I need to audition to join the marching band?
Woodwinds, Brass, and Color Guard do not need to audition. Drumline and Front Ensemble Percussion and the Emeralds (Danceline) have placement assessments.

Can I join the marching band if I am not going to SU?
Students from other higher education institutions (e.g., community colleges, local colleges, and universities) may participate in the Stevenson University Marching Band.

Can I join the marching band if I do not have any experience with playing an instrument and/or marching?
Yes! We accept all members of varying experience levels. We have an excellent staff that will assist you in learning a new instrument and how to march with proper technique.

Is there a fee to enroll in the marching band?
No, there are no additional fees.

I competed in marching band in high school, and I am concerned that I won’t be able to balance my homework and band. 
Balancing band and homework is possible. We only meet for four hours of rehearsal time per week. Our performances include 5 home football games, 3 open houses, 2 exhibition performances at high school band competitions, and 1 parade.

When is Band Camp?
Our calendar with band camp dates is listed here

Is Band Camp mandatory?
Yes, it is required for all marching band members to attend all rehearsals at band camp.

Where will I stay for band camp?
If you choose to reside on campus for the school year, you will move into the housing assigned to you by Residence Life.

What is the rehearsal schedule during the fall semester?
You can view our most updated calendar here.

What type of music do you play during the show?
The band performs music in the popular, rock, and hip hop genres.

How do I register for Marching Band?
You will register for Marching Band when you register for classes on your assigned Mustang Day.

What do I need to bring to band camp?
Sneakers, athletic clothing, sunscreen, bug spray, and water are recommended for band camp.

Who can I contact with questions?
Director of Music, Dr. Lortz. Please contact us using our contact form here.

I don’t own my own instrument. Does the school have an instrument I can use?
Yes! We provide instruments to all students who need them. Percussion, brass, and saxophone players are required to use school instruments, but flutes and clarinets are permitted to use their own instruments.

Scroll to Top